When I facilitate diversity workshops and seminars, I'm gratified to see a wide variety of people in the room with different perspectives and life experiences. Some people hear the word diversity and perhaps perceive it as being a nuisance, extra work or something unfamiliar. That's OK because it is precisely a variety of ideas and perspectives that makes the world more interesting.
In practice, diversity is really just a reflection of the varied talents, abilities and experiences present in any given environment. Diversity is all around us. How do I know? I see it everywhere. Let me give you an example from any of the workshops I facilitate. When I look at the participants I am constantly reminded that:
- No two people look exactly alike in the room
- No two people hold the same beliefs in the room.
- No two people have the same life experience.
- No two people love exactly the same movies.
- No two people hear what I say in the same way.
- No two people love exactly the same music.
- No two people love the same books.
- No two people have the same voice.
- No two people think of the topic in the same way.
- No two people love all the same people.
There are many more things that could go on the list. We don't always realize it, but we are constantly moving in a world of vast diversity. . It's up to each of us whether we choose to celebrate how great we all are follow another path. Which path do you choose?