Leaders and organizations are frequently faced with managing diverse staff and bringing them together to support the goals and objectives of the company. Forward-thinking leaders build workplaces that use their employees' diverse talents and abilities rather than stifling them or limiting their potential.
In today's workplace, diversity is no longer an abstract concept but an opportunity to strengthen your company. Here are some focus questions that will help your organization begin to formulate a diversity plan.
- What is our company's overarching philosophy on diversity?
- What does our workforce look like?
- What are the elements that unite us?
- How do we address differences?
- How do we bring disparate elements together?
- Does our company have a coherent policy to address diversity?
- Is our diversity policy enforced and practiced at all levels?
- Does our workforce reflect diversity at all levels?
Once you have thought through these concepts you will be at a point where you can begin to develop a philosophy, a strategy as well as policies and procedures that will guide you successfully into the future.