We all reach points in our work lives where we may not believe in ourselves. Sometimes a difficult situation arises or a hurdle of some kind shakes your confidence. Perhaps you’ve had to endure long periods of disappointment or many challenges simultaneously. It’s very normal to reach these points in life.
Everyone has moments of self-doubt or insecurity. The key is to know how to believe in yourself even when you think there’s nothing to believe in. Here are six tips to help you believe in yourself even when things aren’t going so well at work.
- Try not to take things personally. The events that happen at work are not personal, they are only events. Just as bad ones can occur so can good ones.
- Focus on the positive. If you tend to focus on what’s going wrong you may miss all the great things we are doing.
- Make a list of the things you do well. It doesn’t have to be perfect or long, just write down some things you do well.
- Feel free to dream. Dreaming is free and helps you get in a positive mindset where you look forward to the future.
- Take action. Nothing reverses a lack of belief in oneself than taking action. Even if the things you do don’t lead to any immediate results you still have the satisfaction of doing something to improve your situation.
- Breathe and take care of yourself. Take time to do calming, centering activities that don’t cost money and don’t require huge amounts of effort. Take a walk or some other thing you enjoy to break up the usual work routine.
These ideas will help you find your balance again and believe in yourself. Work can be challenging but you have the ability to feel great about yourself no matter what comes your way.