What's wrong with being ordinary? Well, not much unless you want to experience a life of courage, joy, love, enlightenment, meaning, and fulfillment. Throughout my career coaching and training thoughtful people who are searching for answers in their lives and trying to develop self-awareness, I have noticed that there is a vast difference between conforming and blazing your own path. My experience has taught me that the goal in life isn't to just get by or live an ordinary existence, but rather:
- Being who you really are.
- Doing courageous things each day to make your dreams come true.
- Going against the grain when in the presence of injustice.
- Thinking and behaving differently than the norm.
- Not trying to fit in.
- Adding to the beauty in the world.
- Making the world a better place for as many people as possible.
- Moving beyond high-school behaviors.
- Becoming your own person rather than the one your parents, family, or peer group want you to be.
- Thinking and behaving with kindness and compassion rather than self-interest.
Moving past the standard way of being requires consciously diverging from what most people do. It means having the self-awareness to be your own person and do your own thing. What do you do to go beyond ordinary?