When I train leaders the concept of being happy at work often comes up. People want to be happy and enjoy their work lives on a deeper level because it makes them feel more well-rounded and satisfied. The challenge is to find a way to take the goal of being happy and actually do things to achieve it. The concept of happiness is different for each person but there are some basic things you can do to create a life that is fulfilling and rewarding.
- Be yourself. Look deep inside yourself and make sure you’re always behaving in ways that are consistent with what you feel and believe at your core.
- Do what you love. Identify what it is that you love doing more than anything in life and do it at work and everywhere.
- Connect with supportive people. Surround yourself with people who love you for who you are and appreciate your amazing talents and gifts.
- Love your work and spread that feeling. When you do what you really love doing it becomes fun instead of work and it helps you spread the same energy to others.
- Take care of yourself. Remember to celebrate and praise yourself often and focus on your achievements.
Try these five ideas and observe how you feel about yourself along the way. The key to being happy at work is often closer than you think and you can find it by simply remembering to honor who you are.