My clients often ask me to define self-awareness clearly so they can begin working on it. Here are some of the key elements of self-awareness:
- Understanding of how your thoughts affect you and others.
- Realizing how your emotions affect you and the people around you.
- Recognizing how your behaviors affect you and other people.
- An ability to evaluate what you do well and what needs some strengthening.
- Living consciously instead of unconsciously.
- Knowing who you really are deep inside.
- Following your true path in life.
There's no mystery to self-awareness, it just means that you understand where your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors come from and that you're able to move them all in a positive direction. What would you add to this list?