A lot of team building programs help people bond on a casual, superficial level. That's great for situations where you want people to have a good time for a few hours but I prefer team building that encourages people to connect on a deeper level by building self-awareness and learning how their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors affect them and those around them. Here are seven benefits of deeper team building:
- Interacting meaningfully, building stronger interpersonal relationships.
- Increasing mutual respect and understanding, learning about others.
- Allowing space and time for everyone to express his or her point of view.
- Dealing well with emotions, building emotionally intelligent employees and leaders.
- Developing active listening skills.
- Behaving with kindness, empathy, and compassion.
- Being able to achieve more in less time.
Imagine your workplace functioning based on these concepts. It probably seems strange because it's so different from the toxic environments we're used to. Thankfully, you can design any workplace you want, including one where people genuinely behave as a team.
The way I reach these goals is to teach groups of people (especially leaders) how to communicate on a deeper level and build relationships based on kind, attentive listening, and empathy. How do you promote deeper team building in your workplace?