People frequently ask me how to become self-aware. Here are five things you can do to start building your self-awareness:
- Make a list of all the things you do that lead in a positive direction.
- List the things that hold you back or lead in a less than positive direction.
- List the emotions you most commonly feel. Subdivide this list into the emotions you have an easy time feeling and those you have a difficult time feeling.
- Make a list of the things you really want to do in life, only list the things that are deep inside your heart, not the stuff you think you should do or others say you should do.
- Write about who you really are as a person, who the real you is and what dreams that person has.
The important thing to remember is that self-awareness doesn't happen all at once, it's a process that takes time and deliberate effort. Take the time to thoroughly think about and work through each of these five steps and don't move on to the next one until you've finished the one before it. The areas that you have the most difficulty with are the ones that you will benefit from spending more time on. By completing these steps you will learn about yourself and start identifying who you really are and what you want to do with your life.