Here is a ten-step plan on how to develop self-awareness:
- Decide that you're willing to look deep inside yourself. Don't start this process if you're not committed to being fully honest and working hard on developing self-awareness.
- Make a list of all the great things about you.
- Make a list of the things you feel, think, or do that are detrimental to your well-being.
- Make a list of all the things you'd like to improve.
- Pick one item from your list of things you'd like to improve and decide on one action you're willing to take to work on it.
- Take action and then evaluate what benefit it had on the thing you'd like to improve. If it worked, move on to the next thing you'd like to improve; if it didn't, choose another action.
- Once you have found the appropriate action to resolve the issue, start the process again. It's important to do this because your lists will change whenever you change in some way.
- Keep working continuously, one item at a time. Don't overload yourself by trying to do several things at once. Choose one thing and work on it deliberately.
- Whenever you resolve an issue in your life, celebrate and praise yourself for the great work you've done.
- Continue to identify and resolve issues throughout your life.
Developing self-awareness doesn't happen overnight, it requires sustained attention and effort over time. Try this ten-step process and, as you do it, you'll be gaining insights into yourself and living a healthier, more balanced life.