Developing self-awareness means moving from living unconsciously to thinking, feeling and behaving intentionally. Countless people live their lives stuck in their comfort zones, repeating behaviors that don't make them happy and not realizing they have other options. Here are five ideas to help you develop your self-awareness and improve the quality of your life:
- Be willing to look at yourself. You can't live deliberately if you don't take a look at and understand who you are as a person. Make it a habit to continuously assess what you do well and what areas need some strengthening.
- Examine your thoughts. Which of your thoughts help you succeed or make you happy? Which ones hold you back or keep you from living authentically? Evaluate how your thinking affects your life, keep what works and get rid of what doesn't.
- Examine your emotions. Learn how to acknowledge and feel all of your emotions, not just the ones you're comfortable with. Heal and bring closure to challenging issues or past hurts in your life. The more you learn how to feel and appropriately manage your emotions, the healthier and more balanced you'll be.
- Examine your behaviors. There are things you currently do that yield excellent results and some that keep you from working on your dreams. Keep the behaviors that help you live meaningfully and let go of the ones that lead you off course.
- Be willing to make changes. It's very difficult to grow in any way if you don't believe change is possible or vital to your personal development. There is always something you can fine tune so you can become stronger and better able to live a fulfilling life.
Self-awareness matters because, when you understand yourself deeply, you're able to live consciously instead of haphazardly. It's the difference between stumbling through life repeating the same patterns and creating your own destiny. What will you do to keep developing your self-awareness?