I frequently talk with leaders who ask me if there is a secret to success and I usually let them know that all it really takes is purposeful action. Purposeful action means that you are fully conscious and have thought about every action that you take. You don't leave things to chance except when appropriate and you consciously do things to improve yourself.
Think of success in terms of practical things you can do to move in whatever direction you want. The following steps will help you achieve what you want by building self-awareness and taking action:
1. Define what success means to you.
2. Break your definition into parts and give each one a clear name. These become your goals.
3. Select one goal you want to work on.
4. Brainstorm different tasks that will help you achieve your goal.
5. Pick one task and follow it through to completion.
Use these five steps to keep moving forward. Success is based on continuous movement and action. With each action you complete you become stronger and more successful. Don't worry too much about what goal you choose or what action to take, it is the act of doing things that creates successful leaders who create more productive workplaces.