When you enjoy a high level of self-awareness you tend to be less insecure because you understand who you really are and you don’t compare yourself to others. Countless people wander through life measuring themselves against some arbitrary standard set by someone else rather than becoming healthy and happy on their own. The first step in moving past insecurity is to acknowledge it. Here are some signs to look for:
- You compare yourself to others.
- You try to be perfect.
- Deep down inside, you don’t like yourself.
- You’re not living your own life.
- You don’t treat yourself or others well.
- You seldom practice compassion.
- You’re always trying to beat someone else.
- You revel in power and control.
When you do these types of things, it doesn’t mean you’re a terrible person but, rather, that you may not have yet really gotten in touch with the person you really are deep inside. Take the time to get to know who you really are and live your life based on your true joys and passions and you won’t have to worry about what others think or compare yourself to anyone but yourself. What will you do to reduce your insecurity?