People frequently ask me, "What is self-awareness," or what the definition of self-awareness is. Here are a few important elements of self-awareness I've noticed over years of coaching and facilitating workshops:
- The ability to understand how your thoughts, feelings and actions affect not only you but also the people around you.
- The ability to heal your hurts.
- The ability to think, feel and behave consciously instead of unconsciously.
- The ability to live authentically.
- Understanding yourself at a deeper level rather than superficially.
- Forging deeper relationships.
- Making the world a better place for as many people as possible because you feel great about yourself.
- Living life as the real you.
- Integrating the various parts of your being.
- Transcending your ego.
What is self-awareness? You get to decide and you'll know you're achieving it when you experience both the struggle and the elation that comes from looking within.