When you possess a high level of self-awareness you're able to step outside your comfort zone more easily because you understand your strengths and abilities as well as your areas for improvement. The reason so many people have a difficult time with change is that they only know how to do things one way and don't realize that there may be other equally or more viable options available to them. Here are some tips to build your self-awareness and move in a positive direction:
- Recognize that you're uncomfortable.
- Remind yourself that you can handle anything.
- Remind yourself that you have options.
- Make a list of positive alternatives to what you are doing right now.
- Pick one of the alternatives and start working on it.
- Practice your new approach until you get good at it.
- If you run into another wall, repeat the process.
Discomfort often comes from not realizing that there are many other opportunities available to you. The next time you feel like you can't do something or it's too daunting, take a deep breath and deliberately walk yourself through this process instead of doing what you've always done. What will you do to begin consciously stepping outside your comfort zone?