People often ask me what is self-awareness and why is it important? In a nutshell, self-awareness is the ability to understand who you are and why you feel, think, and behave the way you do. It's important because it means the difference between living with your eyes closed or open, being unconscious or conscious.
Think of someone you know who never seems to have a clue about what they're doing or why things are happening in their lives; that's a person without self-awareness. People who know themselves well are able to live much deeper, more fulfilling and balanced lives as opposed to just stumbling from one accident to another. Here are some of the characteristics of people who possesses a high level of self-awareness:
- They heal the hurts from their past.
- They know who they are deep inside and what they really want to do in life.
- They understand why they feel, think, and act the way they do.
- They are able to step outside themselves and empathize with others.
- They enjoy more meaningful interpersonal relationships.
- They get along with others.
- They don't need to control everything.
- They don't have to win all the time.
- They constantly learn and grow.
- They understand how their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors affect not only them, but others, as well as society in general.
- They care about reality.
- They're comfortable with themselves.
- They're generally happier.
- They make the world a better place.
The reason why self-awareness is so important is that it gives you the opportunity to live consciously and actually affect your destiny. People who are self-aware are able to enjoy living at a more meaningful level.