Self-awareness is a state of being that is achieved when you deeply understand your own thoughts, emotions and behaviors. It's the difference between living a conscious and unconscious life: In one case, you do things purposefully and with an understanding of yourself and other people and in the other you just kind of wing it.
Here are ten examples of self-awareness:
- You're able to recognize, monitor, and modulate your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors.
- You've worked on resolving the difficult issues from your upbringing.
- You're comfortable in your own skin.
- You're able to build positive relationships with others.
- You can empathize with others.
- You treat people with kindness and respect.
- You don't fly off the handle.
- Your general mood is positive and upbeat.
- Difficult situations don't destroy you because you're aware of your abilities to overcome them.
- You feel, think, and act in ways you can be proud of.
People run into all kinds of difficulties when they lack self-awareness because their thoughts, emotions and behaviors not only affect them but also others. When you achieve self-awareness you understand yourself to the point where you can consciously decide what you think, feel and do.