I'm often asked what are the advantages of self-awareness. It's almost impossible to overestimate the impact self-awareness can have on someone's life, here are some of the advantages I've noticed through years of working with people and organizations over the years:
- An ability to understand one's own thoughts, feelings, and actions and manage them positively.
- Understanding why other people think, feel, and act the way they do.
- Ability to empathize and practice compassion toward others.
- Identifying your strengths and areas for improvement.
- Living your life more authentically because you understand who you really are deep inside.
- Thinking and behaving more positively because you've worked through your stuff.
- Being more open to new information, experiences, and change.
- Choosing positive friends and significant others.
- Being a better leader at work because you're not working out your issues on others.
- Feeling more balanced and together.
- A sense of deeper understanding of yourself and your path in life.
- A more meaningful and fulfilling life.
There's no mystery to self-awareness, it's simply a tool that helps you know so much about yourself that you literally become a happier, more effective human being which, in turn, positively affects you and the people around you. When you possess self-awareness you tap into a stream of consciousness and knowledge that helps you treat yourself and others better, as well as allowing you to make the world a better place. What would you add to this list?
Have you given up on developing self-awareness? Get a free 30-minute Self-Awareness Consulting or Self-Awareness Coaching session.