Families are interesting entities in that they can be a source both of great strength but also amazing frustration. The people I’ve worked with have taught me many things about families and I’d like to share a few so that you may find happiness and balance in your family.
1. It’s OK to ask for what you need from your family.
2. It’s OK to speak up in your family.
3. It’s OK to challenge things you don’t agree with in your family.
4. It’s advisable to talk with family members with the same care and respect you would show to anyone else.
5. We should talk about our family’s challenges and do away with secrets.
6. It’s OK for families to talk about difficult things and try to find ways to function more effectively.
7. Families can change any time they want.
8. Families often benefit from having an uninvolved, outside person give them a fresh perspective on what’s going on and how to fix it.
9. We owe it to ourselves and our families to be as healthy as possible.
10. Why live in misery when we can work toward joy and balance?
Families often get stuck doing things a certain way because they don’t know about any other way to do things. It’s been my experience that there is always hope for happiness and reconciliation. All it takes is some courage and some work.