Leaders who possess self-awareness also tend to be enlightened because they understand themselves at a deeper level and are able to lead effectively without destroying or dominating people. Here are some characteristics of self-aware leaders:
- They feel comfortable with themselves.
- They let go of ego.
- They’re collaborative instead of competitive.
- They understand how their own thoughts and behaviors affect others.
- They treat others with compassion, kindness, and respect.
- They’re comfortable with their own and other people’s emotions.
- They don’t have a need for dominance, power, or control.
- They are able to see the big picture as well as details.
- They get out of the way and let others shine.
- They communicate well, emphasizing active listening.
If you’ve ever worked for a leader like this, you know how enjoyable it is to interact with someone who isn’t out to make himself or herself look good and who understands that other people matter. What have you noticed about self-aware, enlightened leaders?
Please feel free to browse my blog for more ideas on how to build self-awareness both as a leader and as a person.